Harrisonburg VA’s Uncle Bengine and the Restraining Orders have been recording their new album Write Home in basements, bedrooms and warehouses for the past 7 years and what they’ve created is 10 fantastic tracks of twangy, garage-country goodness. Check out “Bleeding Out” and “Night Bangin’” below for a taste.
I am here today to introduce you to Harrisonburg, VA’s Wineteeth and premier their newest single “Haunted Boy” from their upcoming cassette release Soft Bangers.
“Haunted Boy” is the second single from Soft Bangers. It’s a chugging guitar and bass driven tune that bounces around in your skull for its short 2:08 duration. It reminds me of the band Pretty Girls Make Graves a bit. You need to check out the stream of it below.
Soft Bangers is a killer album, full of melodic, punk rock goodness. There is nothing soft about this album. The cassette release will be dropping soon via Funny / Not Funny Records. I highly recommend it.
We are pleased to bring you the world premier of “Polecat” the hell-raising new single (and video) from Harrisonburg, VA rockers, Magister Ludi. It’s a quick minute and forty-eight seconds of pounding drums, heavy-sludge guitar riffs and some harsh gravely vocals (I hope this dude’s throat is okay). Check it out below.
Magister Ludi’s debut album, Deep Fakes, is out later this month via Funny / Not Funny Records. It’s a pretty nutty release that continues to grow on me the more I listen to it. Enjoy.
Philadelphia 3-piece, Droopies, are the definition of the term power-trio. Their sophomore release Responsible People is packed with in-your-face hooks as they bounce between shoegazey punk rock and jangly psych-pop, with one common denominator: fuzz and lots of it. These guys get pretty big sound for there just being three of them.
Responsible People is out now digitally via Droopies Bandcamp page and on a limited cassette release through Funny / Not Funny Records. Give “Gone Wrong” (below) a spin, then go get your hands on a copy of this bad boy. Enjoy.
Virginia’s You’re Jovian’s swirling, reverbed guitars and pounding drums immediately brings to mind shoegaze classics like My Bloody Valentine and Swervedriver. You can get a taste below.
Their incredible 2012 Punkadelia Records release, Stereochronic, is getting reissued on cassette by Funny / Not Funny Records. It’s also available digitally on You’re Jovian’s Bandcamp page. Give these guys a try, you’ll be glad that you did.
You’re Jovian – Sentimental Doubt from Stereochronic (2012/2017)
Washington, DC trio Polyon unleash their brand of 90’s inspired shoegaze meets pummeling indie rock on their newest EP Blue.
Check out the fuzzy, heavy-as-hell title track below for a taste.
Polyon – Blue from Blue EP (2015)
25. Leggy – Nice Try EP [self]
24. Library Voices – Lovish [nevado]
23. Faith No More – Sol Invictus [reclamation]
22. Say Hi – Bleeders Digest [barsuk]
21. Giggly Boys – Bastards of Young [self]
20. The Diamond Center – Crystals of the Brass Empire [funny / not funny]
19. Gun Outfit – Dream All Over [paradise of bachelors]
18. Woolen Men – Temporary Monument [woodsist]
17. Expert Alterations – You Can’t Always Be Liked [kanine]
15. Albino Father – II [self]
14. Mikal Cronin – MCIII [merge]
13. Kurt Vile – b’lieve i’m goin down… [matador]
12. King Gizzard and the Lizzard Wizard – Paper Mâché Dream Balloon [ato]
11. L’Orange & Kool Keith – Time? Astonishing! [mello music]
10. Ultimate Painting – Green Lanes [trouble in mind]
9. Wand – Golem [in the red]
8. Young Guv – Ripe 4 Luv [slumberland]
7. Moon Duo – Shadow of the Sun [sacred bones]
6. Lazy Knuckles – Bucolic [gold robot]
5. Thee Oh Sees – Mutilator Defeted At Last [castle face]
4. Danny James Etc. – Pear [burger]
3. Father John Misty – I Love You, Honeybear [sub pop]
2. Destroyer – Poison Season [merge]
1. The Butterscotch Cathedral – S/T [trouble in mind]
We shared Virginia’s New Boss a while ago from their split release with Borrowed Beams of Light. I really enjoyed their side of the split and was thrilled to find their newest release Twee Boogie Vol. 1 & 2 in my mailbox.
Twee Boogie Vol. 1 & 2 is a fun, poppy-as-hell 13 tracks that will make you want to (as the title suggests) boogie. Check out the synth-driven pop goodness of “Since You Been Gone” (below) for a taste. Twee Boogie Vol. 1 & 2 is available now on cassette from Funny / Not Funny Records. I highly recommend it.
New Boss – Since You Been Gone from Twee Boogie Vol. 1 & 2 (2015)
My first introduction to Virginia’s The Seeers came by way of the Windian Records Subscription Series #3. The Seeers’ contribution is probably the best of the series, so I was stoked when their new cassette release Early Songs arrived in my mailbox a couple weeks ago.
The Seeers play a swirling brand of reverb-laden psych rock with generous amounts of distorted guitars, and killer vocal melodies. Check out the earworm “Glacier” (below), it’s sure to bore it’s way into your brain and not leave for days.
Early Songs is available on cassette from Funny / Not Funny Records. It’s a must have for your collection. Enjoy.
The Seeers – Glacier from Early Songs (2015)